You're My Halmeoni



Dedicated to the late Halmeoni:

Still remember that one fine day,

On a typical weekend, roughly 3pm to 4pm,

Got my first time enter a relative home.

Super nervous because is someone important related to "family".

From the very first gaze,  I'd noticed some colourful plants,

Flowers and a few greenery pots, arranged accordingly right across the main gate entrance.

That you called your "little garden".

Following a father's order, greeting "Hi" to an old person is the basic manners we were taught as a kid.

Before I could even start entering the living room,

My whole body was shaking, anxiously.

I took a deep breath, won't say excited first, because I thought I'm going to meet someone who was as fierce as a discipline teacher.

Tell me, how horrible imagination I had. As I only know that old people always has that grumpy facial expression, hence not in a good mood for the entire day.

As our eyes met, I literally like you.

I standstill like an obedient child, paused to look deeply at your eyes,

And just to realise, you're my "grandma". :)

"Nei Nei, I'm Johny's first daughter, the big one."

You look me with a smile and immediately hugged me.

Within a few second, you face turned red, you started to weep.

Tears shed from your eyes as you hugged me longer. Odd? Why would hugging a kid will wet an old person's eyes? Did I did something wrong?

I was 10, and barely even understand what's family love.

As I only know, a family consist of 3 or more person in your life that fully supports you with love.

A father, a mother, any of siblings.

But then, there's more: Uncle, Aunty, Cousins, Nephew, Niece and.......Grandparents.

I have no idea how to show "love" to the eldest.

But the moment I first saw you, I felt warm and cozy, comfortable as ever. :)


-xoxo- n.qiu



Comments